5 Unique Pretend Play Ideas
1. Pretend Play Library – if you follow my blog you know that one of my favorite things to do with my children is go to the library. It is so peaceful and quiet with so many learning opportunities. Here is a great set of free printables so the children can play library at home.
2. Pretend Play Travel Agent – set up a small chair and table. Write Travel Agent on a piece of paper and hang it from the desk. Toss some brochures, maps and these trip planning printables on the table and start booking a trip.
3. Radio or Television Station – set up a table with two chairs. Divide up the roles – show host, person to interview, make up, hair, camera person, etc depending upon how many children are playing. The children can pick a topic to discuss or just ask random questions. Here are a few questions to start with from Minds in Bloom.
4. Pretend Play Ballet or Exercise Studio – check out this homemade ballet bar which would be even better if you put it in a room with a large wall mirror. Add some seating and move right into the pretend recital. Ballet not your thing? Throw some mats on the ground, jump ropes, cardboard tubes for weightlifting bars and open up an exercise gym.
5. Orphanage – my children love to play this game! We set up all the dolls in shoe boxes, on pillows or in pretend cribs. Someone runs the orphanage and other people come to visit to see who they would like to adopt. We make up all these crazy stories about why the babies are there and why we have come to adopt them. Super simple set-up with hours of fun and imagination.
Need quick ideas for pretend play? Check out all of our printables.